How to download a child's portfolio
When a child is leaving your Early Childhood Education Service you will want to archive their profile at some stage. The archived profiles stay on your site permanently as a back-up, but you may also wish to download a child's portfolio to your computer, either as an added back-up or to give a hard copy or disc to their family.
Follow these steps to download a child's portfolio for parents, and how to unzip that file.
Follow these steps to download a child's portfolio.
- Locate the child in Educa, then click the "View Profile" link to open their profile page. On the child's profile page click the "Download for Parents" or "Download" button at the bottom of the page.
- A popup will appear explaining that you're about to download the child's portfolio. Click "yes" to confirm, and start the download. Please note that if the child has lots of photo and video files it may take a short time to process and download.
- This will download a .zip file of your child's profile.
A zip file will need to be "extracted" or "unzipped" to be used properly.
Extracting the .zip file
- Locate the file (which will be named as the child) on your computer and double-click to open it. This should open the file in a file extractor. The extractor program will depend on your computer and what software you have. In this example, we are using WinRAR, but don't worry if you have a different one, it will be very similar.
- Once you open your file in WinRAR a popup like the one below (3) will appear, showing you all the files located in the zip folder you just downloaded.
- Click Extract To to extract the files.
- Select or create a folder where you would like to save the portfolio files, and click OK. You can ignore the other settings.
Once you unzip the file you should be able to view the stories by clicking on the file called
"[Child's name]'s learning stories." This will open the file in your browser as you would view it on the web. You will also be able to access individual photos in the Files folder.